Sledgehammer target

Ask strength and conditioning questions or share your knowledge.
Lugnut

Sledgehammer target

Postby Lugnut » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:34 am

I've visited all the local tire shops and can't find anything suitable for swinging a ledge hammer at! At least not within my budget (new tractor tires are EXPENSIVE)

What are some of ya'll smashing your hammer into?

Herzog

Postby Herzog » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:46 am

I got lucky finding my tire. My wife and I were dropping off our oldest girl to her friends birthday party a couple of years ago and the family had an old "muddin'" tire out beside the road for the garbage man to pick up.

I walked up to the house (I didn't know the people at all) and asked them if I could have the tire. After a strange look they said "sure", so I loaded it into my trunk. The thing must have weighed 100 pounds, as it still had the wheel in it and was retaining a lot of water from a recent storm. I'm sure they were thinking I was a nutcase!

Anyway, you could try a scrap yard perhaps. They might have some old tires and they would certainly be cheap!

elarsen

Postby elarsen » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:03 am

If you cannot find a tire try a large section of rolled up carpet. If you have any old carpet laying around it works great and is actually much more quiet than a tire when hit with the sledge. Just another idea.

I have used a rolled up carpet, an old tire, and a large basin filled with pea rock as targets. All worked fairly well.

I found the tire that I use at a local tire store. It was free as they have to get rid of any old tires anyway. The one I use is a large truck tire, the size of a tire you would find on a full size pickup or SUV. You really don't need a huge tractor tire.

jkinney

Postby jkinney » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:11 am

I found a tire at a recycling center near my house. It's just a car tire, so it's on the small side, but it works for me.

da pm1200

Re: Sledgehammer target

Postby da pm1200 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:05 am

Lugnut wrote:I've visited all the local tire shops and can't find anything suitable for swinging a ledge hammer at! At least not within my budget (new tractor tires are EXPENSIVE)

What are some of ya'll smashing your hammer into?

Are you serious? Most places are more than happy to give away old used tires. SUV tires work, thats what I use.

ato

Postby ato » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:44 am

(new tractor tires are EXPENSIVE)

Don't buy a new tire to bash with a sledge hammer. Most tire shops have to pay to get rid of the old tires they accumulate. You should be able to get an old tire for free.

sonofgypsyhamster

Postby sonofgypsyhamster » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:17 pm

oil soaked sand works best IMO, its less prone to fly everywhere when you hit home with the sledge.

Drakelet

Postby Drakelet » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:55 pm

I hit an old pickup truck we have. :D

wavehand

Postby wavehand » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:52 pm

jkinney wrote:I found a tire at a recycling center near my house. It's just a car tire, so it's on the small side, but it works for me.

i found one on the side of the road, a car tire, and it works fine for me too. i think the tractor tire is good because it doubles as a heavy object to flip, but the car tire was free, takes up less room and gets the job done.
now's the time

burnhotburnclean

Postby burnhotburnclean » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:08 am

go to any tire changing gas station/ shop.. they will give you any old tire you want.. they have to pay to get rid of them.. they will give you one in a heart beat.. if they try to sell it to you, say "dont you have to pay to get rid of these?" unless they are true dicks, they will give you a tire...
the only thing that stays the same is that everything will change...

prepare for the worse, hope for the best...

Return to “Strength and Conditioning”